The implementation of Learning Initiatives has been designed to further expand our operative framework, providing our Partners, and other actors, with new possibilities of engagement with smallholder farmers.
Learning Initiatives, differ from SAFE Project formats (Individual Projects and Small Interventions); and are seen as complementary to these learning processes. They will aim to:
- Use and leverage information and learning products into concrete and tangible processes and activities, transitioning from learning to action.
- Consolidate the learning process, enhancing the visibility and analysis by Partners, and other actors, over field experiences, new approaches, methodologies and tools.
- Stimulate and steer the joint action of Partners, and other actors, towards specific collaborative efforts.
Learning Initiatives are actions:
- Of short duration, with a maximum timeframe of 8 months.
- Of low budget, funded directly by the SAFE Platform with a budget of about $25,000 per initiative. These resources can be used to hire consultants, local technical staff, researchers or facilitators; for the editing and publication of documents; for the organization of activities or meetings; among many other alternatives. In some cases, additional resources could be provided by other actors interested in promoting the activities.
- Oriented to produce very concrete, tangible and final results, considered of high added value for the generation or diffusion of knowledge and experiences. It is mandatory for these results to be shared openly with all Platform Partners.
- That will be administered by the SAFE Platform.
- That, preferably, will have the involvement of at least one Platform Partner or its allies.
Selection and Initiation
The SAFE Executive Committee will analyze each initiative, based on the participation and commitment of Partners, the availability of resources, the thematic and geographical balance, the strategic importance of the initiatives, the added value of the generated products, among other variables.
Each initiative will be analyzed separately, and the Executive Committee will decide whether to approve or deny each proposal, taking into consideration the aforementioned variables.
In order to be selected, applicants must fill out a Learning Initiative proposal form, which can be sent an any time of the year. This form can be requested by email at: email@example.com, and should be sent to that email once complete.